I found an awesome salad recipe! At first I thought it had just a few ingredients so how could it possibly be filling enough to be a meal, or even tasty? But wow, was I surprised! I found this recipe on http://www.alexandracooks.com. It makes 2 servings, but my version below is just for 1.
I find that this is perfect for a light supper meal.
Bacon Spinach Salad for 1
- I hard boiled egg
- 1-2 tbsp diced red onion
- 1-2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- olive oil (double the amount of vinegar)
- 2-3 slices bacon (I had super thin smoked)
- about 120g spinach
- Place the bacon slices on a pan over medium heat until crisp – not burnt!. Once done, blot with paper towels to remove some of the fat.
- In the meantime, soak the onions in vinegar with salt and sugar, for 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the onions, wash the spinach and set to dry.
- After the 10 minutes are up, whisk the olive oil into the onions.
- Once the bacon is done, heat up a large pot filled with water (maybe about 1/3-1/2 of the pot).
- Next, transfer spinach into a metal bowl or medium-sized pot.
- Tear up the bacon into bite-sized pieces and throw into the spinach.
- Pour the onion mixture into the spinach.
- When the water in the large pot is simmering, place the bowl/smaller pot with spinach over it until the spinach is slightly wilted, mixing occasionally.
- While you’re waiting for the spinach to wilt, cut up the egg. I cut it into 8 wedges.
- Transfer the spinach salad onto a plate and place the eggs on top.
Note: the original recipe calls for breadcrumbs. I find that the breadcrumbs fried in oil are, first of all, an unnecessary calorie bomb, but also the salad tastes so good without the breadcrumbs, that they are simply not needed! You can do as you choose 🙂