It’s interesting how I went from not eating breakfast at all to it being my favorite meal of the day.
Why millet? Well, firstly it is gluten-free, non-allergenic and digests easily. It contains magnesium, fiber and lots of protein, all of which aide in keeping a healthy heart and digestive system. There are a host of other health benefits. If you’re interested, check it out here.
- 1/2 cup dry millet
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vanilla flavored oat milk (or any other kind of milk of your choice)
- goji berries
- 1 tsp honey
- Pour millet into a small saucepan and, over low heat, toast until slightly darker. This gives it a nutty flavor.
- Add water and, over medium heat, stir occasionally until it puffs up and reaches a thicker consistency.
- Next add the milk, goji berries, honey and cinnamon, stirring until it reaches a creamy consistency – similar to oatmeal.
- Transfer to bowl and enjoy!!
The end result was quite tasty, but next time I would rather cook the millet only in the milk, instead of milk and water. This way I can imagine that it will have a fuller taste to it.
And of course a variety of food can be added – fresh berries, nuts, or anything else that comes to mind! I am definitely looking forward to experimenting some more with millet!!