Tired of eating the same few breakfast meals?
Well, while I love my breakfast staple foods such as oatmeal or granola with fruit, I have recently been searching for new ideas.
And I came across the Eggsadilla from Women’s Health Magazine. But, as per usual, I tweaked it according to my own preferences as well as what I had in my fridge.
And I made my very own Breakfast Egg Burrito.
So this is what I came up with:
Breakfast Egg Burrito:
- 2 eggs
- handful of spinach, wilted by either steaming or heating on a pan with a touch of olive oil
- 1/4 avocado, smashed with a splash of lime juice
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and scramble with a fork, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour eggs into a pan on medium-low heat and add spinach and bell pepper.
- Fry, stirring occasionally until eggs form into billowy curds – you don’t want to dry them out!
- In the meantime, spread the avocado, cheese and carrots into 3 columns going down the middle of the tortilla. Be sure to keep about 1 inch space empty on the bottom of the tortilla (later needed for folding the burrito).
- Once the egg mixture is ready, slide it over the 3 columns on the tortilla. Make sure that the food is 1 inch away from the bottom of the tortilla, and about 3 inches away from the left and right sides.
- Wrap the burrito: first fold the bottom part up, next fold the left side over to cover the food and then do the same with the right side to close up the “envelope”. You should have only the top of the tortilla open, where you can see the contents.
- Place the burrito, folded side down onto your pan and heat on medium-low for about a minute, or until the tortilla turns golden. Then flip over and do the same for the other side. This is to heat up your tortilla, and also slightly melt the cheese you have inside.
- Slide the tortilla onto a plate and enjoy!!
Total calories: 483.
Want a lighter version? Try 1 egg + 1 egg white, substitute the avocado for 1/4 cup diced tomato with 1 tbsp of Greek yogurt and skip the cheese – total calories 328!
Do you have a favorite breakfast burrito?