It seems that my 9 year old isn’t as interested in healthy eating as I am. Therefore I am looking for interesting ways to get him involved. Unfortunately he is already too old for the timeless trick of many parents where, if they arrange the food in a funny face or Mikey Mouse or something, then their kid will eat whatever it is.
So I have to find more honest and real ways.
Enter Nicecream. What is it? It’s just frozen bananas blended alone or with other fruit to create an ice-cream consistency. My son loves it most with a bit of vanilla extract and nothing else. Could there be a tastier healthy option to dessert than this?! I think not. It’s without any additional sweeteners and has all the benefits of bananas:
- It contains fiber, which helps with digestion
- The potassium in bananas keep blood pressure at bay
- All of its various vitamins and minerals keep the heart healthy
- Bananas also contain tryptophan, an amino acid that studies suggest plays a role in preserving memory and boosting your mood
So all in all – can you find a better dessert than this? And when made into Nicecream – it tastes absolutely wonderful!!
Now, the process:
- Take a ripe banana, peel it, cut it into slices, slide them into a zip-lock bag and place in the freezer
- I noticed that for best results, they should be in the freezer for about 2 hours: less and they will be too mushy, more and they will be hard and difficult to blend
- After the 2 hours are up, place the banana slices into a blender, adding any other ingredients you wish. I suggest start small and then once you get the hang of it, work your way into more complicated combinations. (You can add other frozen fruits to the blend).
- Blend until smooth, scoop into a bowl, add some fresh fruit toppings if you wish, and enjoy!
For the ambitious: